Hiro’s Journal / ヒロ日記より 02.28.2019 Day 5

2月28日午後2時、日本時間3月1日午前7時、5日目。

北緯26度33分 経度119度20分、北東の風 6ノット、波60センチ

コース190度 船速7.2キロ

夜中12時から風が吹いてきたので機走から帆走に変え快適なセーリングをしました。しかし、午後12時頃から風が落ち再び忍耐の時間になりました。しばらくこの状態が続くようです。

太平洋高気圧が西側にあり、南西には行けず南に下っています。日本に近づけず、一旦遠く離れているのですが、これも北緯26度より下らないと北東貿易風をとらえることができないからです。引き続き我慢のセーリングとなっています。風が少ないため、到着が遅れそうです。それもわかりませんが…。

現段階でタンク2つ分の燃料を足しました。これからは風が落ちてもエンジンは長くの間使わないで行こうと思っています(燃料に制限があるため)。

昨日は、魚釣り用の網に食器を入れ海に流し、洗うのをトライしたのですが、きれいにならず失敗に終わりました。

岩本光弘

February 28th, 2 p.m. Pacific Time, March 1st, 7 a.m. Japan Time, Day 5.

26.33.N 119.20 W, Wind Speed: 6 kts, Wave hight: 60 cm

Course: 190°, Bout speed:7.2 kph

We were motoring, then switched to sailing from 12 o’clock midnight. But we lost those winds after noon and we have to be patient again. Seems like we have to suffer like this for a while. North Pacific High is sitting on the west side, so we are going south, instead of going SW. This make us look like we are not approaching to Japan, but we need to be more south than 26°N, so we can catch the Trade wind. We need continued to be sailing like this a little longer. Lack of good wind may make our arrival later than we planed, but we don’t know it for sure. We added two extra containers of fuel to the tank the so far, but from now on, we will try sailing and not use fuel for a while.(our fuel limited, as you know.)

Yesterday, we tried to clean dishes in the ocean by putting them in a fish net, but it was not successful.

Hiro

https://ja.weather-forecast.com

El Niño Effect / エルニーニョの影響

As noted in an earlier post, the development of an El Niño pattern would be problematic for our voyage.   That has turned out to be the case.  Please see the weather forecast and routing below.   Nonetheless, all is well and our thoughts are not on our “luck” but simply what does it take to move forward.  

以前の投稿にも記した通り広がりつつあるエルニーニョの影響が我々の航行に影響するかもしれないという事でしたが、どうやらそれは現実になってきているようです。下の英文ですが天気予想とルートの提案をご覧下さい。まぁそうは言っても、大丈夫です。我々は運任せではなく、単に今ある状況に対してどうやって推進力を出していくかという課題に向き合うのみです。

Route: San Diego, CA to JapanPosition: 26 59n/119 05w at 1425utc Thu, Feb 28, 2019, cog 221, speed 4.2 ktsPrepared: 1500utc Thursday, February 28, 2019
Summary:  1) Keep in mind this is an El Nino global weather pattern. For you, that means a lot of low pressure between Hawaii and California  a) what makes the trade winds is the location, strength, and persistency of the high pressure cell N of us  b) if it is mostly low pressure N of us then the trade winds will be weak and problematic – you probably know that by now!2) Right now,  a) weak high pressure is located near 26-27n/120-124w and will be in our vicinity for the next 3 days  b) there is a little low pressure near 24-25n/136-140w and a large low not far to the NW – this low pressure complex will be moving NE, reaching San Francisco  Sat night/Sun  c) and, there will be more low pressure forming N and NE of Hawaii during Sun3) Bottom-line, a really terrible weather pattern for trade winds, but it will get better W of Hawaii. We just have to get there4) There is and will be little or no wind to the W and SW of us  a) trade winds will be good and somewhat reliable near and S of 20n. So, our goal is to get S and get S of 20n5) Winds today and tomorrow will be quite variable from the NW, N, and NE  a) we DO NOT want to head W or WNW – we will be sailing away from where the trade winds are located  b) we are better off sailing towards the S and SSE than W and WNW  c) so best point of sail to head SW, S, and SSE today, tomorrow, and Sat6) By Sun morning, the high pressure cell will be located from 25-26n/124-134w  a) NE winds 12-16 kts will be as close as 22 30n/120w7) The high will shift NE during Mon and Tue  a) this will allow the trade winds to spread to the N  b) but, keep in mind, this will not last until we reach 20n and further S  c) I have you on starboard until wind directions reach 060 and then we go to port – remember, we need to get SW, S, and even more S!
Wind forecast Time is UTC: Wind directions are TRUE / wind speed in kts
Thu, Feb 28 1800: 330-010/ 8-12Weather…Cloudy to partly cloudy with NW swell of 3-6 feet
Fri, March 100: 350-030/ 5-1006: 360-030/ 5-1012: 350-310/ 6-10, near 26 05/119 55w18: 350-030/10-15Weather…Cloudy to partly cloudy with NW swell of 4-7 feet
Sat, March 2 00: 020-340/10-506: 030-070/ 4-712: 040-080/ 3-7, estimating you near 25n/120 25w and heading S18: 010-050/ 3-6Weather…Cloudy to partly cloudy with NW swell of 3-6 feet
Sun, Mar 300: 010-030/ 5-906: 010-030/ 5-812: 360-030/ 5-9, near 24 05n/121 05w18: 010-030/ 6-10Weather…Partly cloudy with NW and N seas of 3-6 feet
Mon, Mar 400: 360-020/ 9-1306: 010-030/11-1512: 010-030/11-17, near 23 20n/122 35w18: 030-050/12-16Partly cloudy with N-NE seas 3-6 feet and a little NW swell
Tue, Mar 500: 040-060/13-18, on port when wind directions reach 06006: 050-070/13-1712: 080-100/12-17, estimating you near 21 40n/124w18: 100-070/16-8Partly cloudy with N-NE seas 4-7 feet

Dream Weaver 号の実際の取説より

Hiro’s Journal / ヒロ日記より02.27.2019 Day 4

【クジラの群れと遭遇】

2月24日、午後1時過ぎ(サンディエゴ時間)に予定通りサンディエゴのマリーナを出航しました。
取材艇が引き返す日の入りまでは、素晴らしい風に恵まれ、良いスピードで進んでいましたが、その後、風がなくなりました。
これまで1/3をエンジンで、気象予報士からのアドバイスを受け、自分たちでコースを設定し南に向かって進んでいます。風がなく「我慢我慢」の3日間でした。しかし、今朝クジラの群れと遭遇しました。50頭はいたでしょうか?

その後今日の日本時間午後5時ごろから風が出て来て時速11キロで改装し始めました。嬉しいです!


これからも頑張りますので引き続きよろしくお願いします。

2月27日 岩本光弘

 

“Meeting a pod of whales”

We left the Marina in San Diego Feb. 24th a little after 1 p.m. (Pacific Time) as we planned. We were very lucky with a decent wind in good speed, but we lost it after sun set. We have set our direction with the advice of our weather consultant and mover forward 1/3 by using motor. We just had to be patient for three days. We saw a pod of whales yesterday morning. Maybe about 50 of them?!

Then today, at around 5 p.m. (Japan Time) we started to get more wind that the boat speed increased to 11 kmh (like 5.9 kts.) which made me feel great!

Please continue to follow our voyage!

Hiro on February 27th

Voice Message from Hiro on the boat (Japanese) Day 4

Hello everyone. I am speaking on Feb. 27th at 4 pm on Pacific Time. We departed the marina in San Diego on Feb. 24th. I appreciate there was such a good turnout at the launching ceremony. Thanks also for those sending your best wishes to us from far away. Now, we are in our Day 4 that we are sailing again. We were mortering since 10 o’clock yesterday, but finally had our sails up again. We will try our best, so please wish us luck!

皆さんこんにちは。今、パシフィックタイム時間で2月27日午後4時です。 2月24日に無事サンディエゴのマリーナを出航しました。大勢の方に来て頂いて本当に感謝しています。また、遠くの地より想いをこちらに向けて送ってくださった皆様方もありがとうございます。今、4日目に入りましたけども、風がやっと出て来て帆走し始めました。昨日の10時からずっと機走りで来ていたんですが、やっと今帆走できるようになりました。またこれからも頑張りますので応援引き続きよろしくお願いします。

ヒロ 本日の様子
Today’s Hiro


Message from the crew after Day 3

Still blocked by a weak high to our west with light winds.  Heading south to find the trade winds.  But, we have some company.  

弱い高気圧に風が穏やか為、西への航路を阻まれている状況です。更に南下し、貿易風を追い求めています。でも海の仲間がご一緒してくれています!

Doulphins