Hiro’s Journal / ヒロ日記より 04.13.2019, Day 48

4月13日 日本時間午前7時 48日目天気曇り

北緯25度58分 東経151度19分
南西の風18ノット 波1.5 M
ヘディング320度 船速7ノット

【縁の下の力持ち】

おとといの夕方、南鳥島、南の沖50マイルを航行、残マイル1000を切りました。いよいよ日本に帰ってきたという感じがしてとても嬉しいです。

昨晩は風が落ち、6時間ほど機走をしましたが、今は小名浜に向けて良い風を受けてどんどん近づいています。
到着日については、なかなか決定せず多くの方々にご迷惑をおかけしています。飛行機だと分単位で誤差が出るくらいですが、ヨットの場合、一日単位いや一週間単位でずれてきます。
現在のところ、19日か20日には着く予定ですが、これも最後の最後までわかりません。

特に、今回のプロジェクトを立ち上げるにあたって、最初からお力添えを頂いている、比企さん、安藤さん、谷本さんには本当に感謝しています。
3人の方々は、仕事としてではなく、全く個人的なボランティアとして関わって頂いています。スポンサーとの橋渡し、メディアへの対応、東京での私の移動のガイド…。
数え切れないほどのことをやって頂いています。
また、ダグの奥様の尚美さんには、今回の航行のための食料品の調達から、アメリカへの運送、パッキング、ブログの翻訳、アップ、陸上部隊長として総合的な取りまとめなど、数え切れないほどの事をして頂いており感謝。

こうやって縁の下の力持ちがあってこそ、私がこの再チャレンジをできているということに、深く深くお礼申し上げます

April 13th, 7 a.m., JST, Day 48, Weather: Clear

25.58 N 151.19 E

SW 18 kts. wind, Wave hight: 1.5 meter

Course: 320, Boat speed: 7 kts.

[ Behind-the-scene heroes ]

Our remaining distance of the voyage is now less that 1,000 NM. and we have passed Minami Torishima island. I am so happy that, we are finally back in Japan (water) !

The winds were low that we had to motor for 6 hours last night, but now sailing beautifully and heading to Onahama in great winds.

Sorry, it’s been taking long time before announcing the estimated arrival time. The calculation of EAT for sailing boats can be wrong about one day or one week, while air plaines are few minutes. Our estimation is April 19th or 20th. But, you never know until the last moment.

We have been given a major support from these people from the beginning of this project. Hiki-san, Ando-san and Tanimoto-san. I truly appreciate what you have been doing for us. They sacrificed their time and effort as volunteers. They connected us to our sponsors, dealt with media, guided me when I needed to move around in Tokyo… and many more.

I also would like to mention, Doug’s wife, Naomi-san. She took care of our foods, delivering items we need to the US, helped us packing, the translations on the blog, uploading the bog and all the countless effort for the project and worked as a commander of our team. Many thanks for her.

These behind-the-scene heroes made my second challenge possible. My deepest respect to them.

Hiro’s Journal / ヒロ日記より 04.12.2019, Day 47

4月12日 日本時間午前7時 47日目天気晴れ

北緯24度19分 東経152度46分 南西の風15ノット 

波1.5メートル ヘディング309度 船速6.9ノット

【どうして福島なんですか?】

昨晩は、福島に向けて気持ちの良いセーリングができました。このまま今日もセーリングを楽しめそうです。

昨日は、凪の時に船内片付けをし、一安心です。 しかし、明日は低気圧の影響を受ける見込みで、30ノットくらいまで風が吹き上がる予定です。安全に最善を尽くして乗り切ります。あと3~4回の低気圧の影響を受けそうです。

さて、到着地はなぜ福島何ですか?との質問をいただきました。 改めて、ここで到着地を福島にしていることについて書かせていただきます。

2011年3月11日東日本大震後、南カリフォルニア・サンディエゴで、セーリングをし、マリーナに戻る際、津波被害者、特に子供たちのことを考えるようになりました。セーリングをして海は素晴らしいと思っている私と違い、家族をさらっていった憎い海、自分が流されそうになった恐怖である海、津波の被害者である人たちは、そういう風に感じているんだろうなぁと思うようになったのです。

そんな中、いわき海星高校と、いわきジュニアヨットクラブが、所有していた艇を、津波によって流されたり、壊されて、セイルボートが一艇もなくなったと聞きました。 どうにか彼らに、海は素晴らしいという体験を、もう一度してほしいという願いを持っていました。ここで思いついたのが、サンディエゴのマラソンを走って、チャリティーで募金を集めるということでした。私のサポートグループ であるSWISを通して、サンディエゴの大リーグチーム、パドレスのピッチャーをなさっていた、大塚晶文さんを紹介していただき、快く私の伴走をしていただきました。大塚さん のおかげで、多くの方々から募金を頂き、小さなセールボート2艇を、いわき海星高校と、ジュニアヨットクラブに贈呈することが出来ました。 2013年、辛坊さんとの太平洋横断の際、彼らに贈呈後、福島の小名浜港から出港しました。ご存知の通り、その後クジラとの衝突により、挑戦を断念せざるを得なくなりました。 今回のプロジェクトの話が出た時、いわきの子供達に、ヨットから「ただいま」と言いたいと思い、福島の小名浜にしたのです。 成田さんを中心として、多くのサポーターの方々にお世話になっています。

April 12th, 7 a.m., Day 47, Weather: Clear

24.19 N 152.46 E, SW 15 kts. wind,

Wave hight: 1.5 meter, Course: 309, Boat speed 6.9 kts.

[ Why Fukushima? ]

We had a great sailing last night and should be the same today, too.

We were able to clean up the cabin after the mess while the sea was calm. It is expected to have 30kts. winds from the influence of a low pressure tomorrow. We will try our best to be safe. 3 or 4 more lows are coming before we get to Onahama.

I got a question, ” Why did you want to set the goal in Fukushima?”, so I would write about the reasons.

I started to think about the victims, especially children who were killed or hurt from the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11th, 2011, on my way back from a sailing in SanDiego.

I had a lot of fun sailing and I was appreciating the great ocean, but I just thought, those people who lost their normal life from tsunami, hate the ocean, because it took away their family, or have a fear, because they were almost carried away in the ocean.

Then, I got to know, Iwaki Kaisei High School and Iwaki Junior Yacht Club lost all of their sailboats. They were either taken away or destroyed by the tsunami. I really wanted to give them a chance to realize they could have a great experience in the ocean again. So, I came up with an idea to do fundraising by participating in the marathon race in San Diego. Through my support group, SWIS, I was introduced to a Japanese baseball player, Akifumi Ohtsuka of San Diego Padres. He accepted my offer to run the marathon with me. The fundraise was successful, thanks to Mr. Ohtsuka that I got a fund to buy two small sailboats for the school and the junior club. In 2013, at my first attempt of Pacific sailing with Mr. Shinbo, we launched the voyage in Onahama, so I got to give them the boats before we left. As you know, we ended up giving up the voyage by a collision of a whale. I wanted to say “I am back!” from the sailboat to those children in Iwaki, so we decided to make the goal there when we were planing for this voyage. Mr. Narita and many supporters are working tirelessly for us. I really appreciate all their effort.

Hiro’s Journal / ヒロ日記より 04.11.2019, Day 46

4月11日 日本時間午前7時 46日目 天気晴れ

北緯23度32分 東経115度25分 南東の風16ノット 

波60 CM ヘディング260度 船速6.5ノット

【航海は人生の縮図】

昨日は、夕方まで波と風で大変でした。同じ4メートルの波でも、波長によって全く違います。長い波だと、ゆったりと登り、ゆったりと降ってくるので、それほど負担ではありません。しかし、波長の短い波は、急に上に突き上げられ、そのままズドーンと落とされるので影響が大です。この低気圧での波は、波長が短いもので、船内のものが飛ばされ、自分もしっかりつかまって歩かないと、床に叩きつけられます。移動するだけで、ドッと疲れが出ます。昨日の夕方までこの波が続きました。波と同時に風も強く、日本から遠ざかる方向なのにスピードが早く、日本から離れるのが本当につらかったです。

やっと西に向けて舵を切れる風向になった途端、微風となり、ほとんど進まず、セールとブームの音で眠れませんでした。もっと忍耐のトレーニングが必要と言われているような気がしました(苦笑)。 しかし、3時間ほど前から良い風が吹き出し、日本に向けて快適なスピードで走り出しました。地獄と天国をこの二日間で見ているようです。「苦あれば楽あり」ですね。低気圧と遭遇するまで、この素晴らしいセーリングの時間を楽しみます。

※これまで、夜だったり、夜中だったり、カメラの電池が切れたりして、荒れた海を撮影できていなかったので、午前中に荒れた海を撮影しました。 全盲のビデオカメラマンが映した荒れた海、ご期待ください(笑)。

April 11th, 7 a.m., JST, Day 46, Weather: Clear

23.32 N 115.25 E, SE 16 kts. wind,

Wave hight: 60 cm, Course: 260, Boat speed: 6.5 kts.

[ A voyage is like a life ]

The winds and waves were hard until late afternoon yesterday. There are different type of waves depending on the wave period. The same 4 meter waves are not too uncomfortable when its period is long, that means waves are slow. But, when the wave period is short, it hits us upwards, and drops us suddenly, that has a lot more damage to us and to the boat. The low pressure we met yesterday was producing short, choppy waves towards us, that many items in the cabin have blown away everywhere, and we needed to hold on something tight when we walk around, otherwise we would have smashed in the floor. I got so tired even just walking around. That situation continued until late afternoon yesterday. The winds were high as well as the waves, so the boat speed got fast, while we were heading away from our goal. It was tough mentally too.

After all the hustle, we started to sail west again, but the winds were too weak that the boat did not move forward at all. The sail and the boom made a lot of sound and I could not sleep. This voyage is still sending me a message ” you need more patience” 😅. Then, the winds came back about 3 hours ago and we are heading to Japan again! We’ve been experiencing heaven and hell in this couple of days. It is exactly like, ” Take the bad with good”. We will enjoy this wonderful sailing until we meet another low pressure.

※ Took some video of the choppy seas in the morning. We were unable to shoot that condition, because of the night time and too dark, or shortage of battery for that moment. Please wait to see a rough seas video taken by a blind cameraman! 😁

https://cruiseline.com/advice/how-to-book/before-you-book/how-to-avoid-rough-seas-on-a-cruise

Hiro’s Journal / ヒロ日記より 04.10.2019, Day 45

4月10日 日本時間午前7時 45日目 天気曇り

北緯24度4分 東経157度27分
北西の風21ノット 波4 メートル
ヘディング230度 船速7.5ノット

【昨晩、乗り切りました】

昨日、低気圧を回すために、南西に向けてセーリングし始めました。波が高く風も強く、南西に向かったのですが、風の方向と潮に押されて、結局南に行かざるを得なくなりました。非常に我慢我慢の時間が続きました。

今日の昼過ぎには、風も波も落ち着く予定なので、安全にセーリングを続けます。あと2~3回、この低気圧に遭遇しそうです。

昨日、あのまま北東に向けて小名浜に行っていれば、25メートル以上の風になっていたようです。
日本から遠ざかっても、気象予報士のアドバイスのもと、この決断は適切だったと思います。

April 10th, 7 a.m., JST, Day 45, Weather: Cloudy

24.4 N 157.27 E, NW 21 kts. wind

Wave hight: 4 meter, Course: 230, Boat speed: 7.5 kts.

[ We got over the difficult condition last night ]

We started to sail southwest to get away from the low yesterday. We tried to go southwest, but the high waves and current forced us to move south. We just needed patience, patience…

We are excepting to have lower winds and waves this afternoon, so will continue to sail safely. It is forecasted to have two to three more low pressures on our way.

If we kept going NE to get a short cut to Onahama, we would have been in 25 km/h of wind gust! We think we made the right decision based on our weather advisor even though we got further away from our goal.

Hiro’s Journal / ヒロ日記より 04.09.2019, Day 44

4月9日 日本時間午前7時 44日目 天気曇り

北緯25度24分 東経158度19分
南西の風20ノット 波2 Mメートル
ヘディング320度 船速5.5ノット

【問題が起こっても慌てず、コミュニケーションを大切に】

今日の午後、南西に向けてセーリングし始めます。昨日、今日の午後から風が上がることを考え、真ん中の小さなセールを転回するために、一番前のセールを巻き取ろうとしたが、うまくいきません。ダグが一生懸命ファーリングラインを巻き取るのですが、なかなか巻き取れません。私が代わってやってみても同じです。テンションからして、風がセールにはらんでいるから巻き取れないのとは違うと思い、他の原因を考えました。そこで思いついたのが、ドラム内でのロープのオーバーラップです。これを取るためには、一番前のドラムの所に行く必要があります。右にセールを転回しているので 、Dream Weaver は左が下、右が上に斜めになって進んでいます。左からの波を受けて、急にその斜めになる角度が強くなります。前に行く場合、右からアプローチすると海に落ちる危険性が高くなるため、左から前にゆっくりと行きます。まずは命綱をヨットに這わせたラインにつけ、ゆっくりゆっくり四つん這いになりながら行きます。ロープやブロックを超える際、もう一方のエンドをジャックラインにかけます。そのエンドを外したあと、先へ先へと進み、一番前のドラムにやっとたどり着きました。ドラム内を触ってみると、やはり巻かれているファーリングラインがオーバーラップしています。そこで、ダグに言ってセールをコントロールするロープを30 CM 緩めてもらった瞬間、ファーリングラインを上にぐっと引いたところ、オーバーラップが解消しました。これで一安心です。


戻って、オーバーラップの原因を二人で話し合いました。セールを広げる際、ファーリングラインにテンションをかける前に、クラッチをオープンしたようで、それが問題だったようです。

この作業で非常に助かったのが、トランシーバー付き帽子です。
大声を出しても風と波の中、船首からの声はコックピットには聞こえません。このトランシーバーで上手くコミュニケーションができたため、作業がうまくいったのです。


二人の間でのコミュニケーションは、安全に航海する上で、重要です。

April 9th, 7 a.m., JST, Day 44, Weather: Cloudy

25.24 N. 158.19 E, SW 20kts. wind

Wave height: 2 meter, Course: 320, Boat speed: 5.5 kts.

[ Have a good communication and don’t panic when in troubles ]

Planing to shift to SW from this afternoon. We had a trouble rolling up the front sail. This needed to be done in order to prepare for stronger wind gust, so that we could have the middle sail to be able to move around. Doug tried to tighten the furling gear, but it did not move. I tried too, but it was still the same. I could feel from the tension that it was not because of the power of the winds, then I thought there was a possibility of over-wrapping the line inside the drum. To undo this, we had to reach the drum in the far front. We had set the sail to the right, so the boat was heeling over, which means the left side down and the right side up. When we get waves from the left, the angle gets even bigger. To get to the front, taking the right side path would be dagerous that you have a chance to fall into the ocean, so I had to take the left side very slowely. First, I attached my lifeline cable to the wire along the side of the boat, and then, I crawled and moved forward little by little. I reattached the end of my cable to the jackline, because I had to go over some ropes and blocks. Then, I took off the end of from the jackline and moved forward again. When I reached the front, I could tell the furling line was over-wrapped by touching inside the drum. I told Doug to loosen the rope by 30 cm. I pulled up the furling line as soon as he did, and the problem was solved. We were so relieved.

I went back to the cockpit, and we discussed why that happened. Then, we figured out that we opened the clutch before giving a tension to the furling line when we opened up the sail.

What came in handy in this situation was a hat with built-in intercom. You don’t hear anyhtng even someone’s yelling at you on the deck to the cockpit, But, we were able to communicate smoothly in that severe situation by using the intercom.

A good communication between crew is a very important factor for a safe voyage.

https://harborsailboats.com/sailing-the-heel/

Hiro’s Journal / ヒロ日記より 04.08.2019, Day 43

4月8日 日本時間午前7時 43日目 天気晴れ

北緯23度53分 東経159度43分 南西の風13ノット 

波1.5 メートル. ヘディング310度 船速5ノット

【苦渋の選択】

昨晩、気象予報士とのやり取りで、近づいている低気圧が勢力を増しているため、このまま小名浜に直行で向かうのを断念となりました。

南西に引き続き逃げることにしましたが、それでも影響を受けるようで、また30ノットくらいまで吹き上がりそうです。 約北緯21度ぐらいまで南に戻る予定です。300 km 来た道を戻るものは辛いものです。往復だと600 km にもなりますからね。

しかし、これも安全を第一に考えた苦渋の選択です。ここで、どんどん小名浜に近づいていたのに、戻るのは精神的に本当につらいです。でも、皆さんと元気でお会いできるように頑張っていきます。

苦労すればするほど、小名浜ゴール時の感動が、強くなると信じて、平常心で頑張ります。

April 8th, 7 a.m., JST, Day 43, Weather: Clear

23.53 N. 159.43 E, SW 13 kits. wind

Wave height: 1.5 meter, Course: 310, Boat speed :5 its.

[ Difficult missions to make ]

We got a report from our weather forecast advisor, saying the approaching low pressure is developing, that we decided not go directly to Onahama from where we are.

We will continue to escape to southwest from the low, but still, the winds will come up to 30 kts. under the effect of being close to it. We will be down South again, close to 21N. We came up north for 300 km, which means, we will end up having extra 600 km total by doing this. But, we just got to do it to be on the safe side.

It is not easy to accept that we are gonna have to move away from Onahama at this point, because we were making quite a good progress. We will do the best, so we can safely see people waiting for us in Onahama!

I believe, the harder ways we go, the more precious the moment when we get to our goal. I will try to keep a calm state of mind.

This is suggested route for this week as of yesterday, but we are not sure if the weather situation will remain as they forecasted. (the right dot id the current location) これは昨日提案された今週の経路ですが、天気予報自体がこのままとも限りません。(右端のドットが現在位置)

Hiro’s Journal / ヒロ日記より04.07.2019, Day 42

4月7日 日本時間午前7時 42日目 天気晴れ

北緯23度29分 東経161度33分 南の風8ノット 

波2 Mメートルヘディング280度 船速4.5ノット

【一枚の黄色いハンカチ】

昨日は、後ろからのいい風に恵まれ、気持ちの良いセーリングを再び楽しみました。あまりにも揺れて、お湯も沸かせなかった前の晩と異なり、2日分の夕食をいただきました(笑)。

明日の夜、接近する低気圧は、先日の風よりも強い風速を伴っているようで、今必死に逃げています。
間に合わなかった場合、我々の技量を考え、来た方向に戻るようなヘディングになったとしても、安全にセーリングすることを共通認識しました。

さて、船内のナビゲーションデスクの前に、一枚の黄色いハンカチを飾らせてもらっています。このハンカチは小名浜港の港長に訪問した際、頂いたものです。その時、デザインを考えた、津波で亡くなった一人の女の子について話を伺い、感銘を受け、彼女の思いをハンカチと共に 、Dream Weaver に乗せ、太平洋を渡ろう、そして、そのハンカチをお父様に到着後、渡そうと決心しました。このハンカチの内容については、以下のリンクに載っております。是非読んで見てください。いわき市の塩屋埼灯台の麓にある「山六観光」さんで販売されているとのことです。収益金は全ていわき市に寄付されます。

http://www.asahi.com/special/10005/TKY201111290254.html

生きたくても生きられなかった、津波被害者の方々のためにも、しっかりと有意義な人生にしていきたいと、このハンカチを触りながら、感慨にふけっている自分がいます。

April 7th, 7 a.m., JST, Day 42, Weather: Clear

23.29 N 161.33 E, South 8 kits. wind

Wave hight, 2 meter, Course 280, Boat speed: 4.5 kts.

[ A Yellow Handkerchief ]

We enjoyed sailing with great winds pushing us from behind. I ate double portion of meal yesterday. It’s very different from the days when we were unable to boil water in the rocking boat.

We are trying to get away now from an approaching low pressure that has a lot more wind than what we experienced the other day. We confirmed with each other to choose the safest way, which might end up meaning we go back the way we came, in case we are not be able to escape the low.

We displayed a yellow handkerchief in front of the navigation desk. This was given from a harbormaster when we visited Onahama harbor. It has a drawing on it, and the design was created by a girl who lost her life in tsunami during the Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011. I was so moved by her story, and I decided to cross the Pacific with this handkerchief. After our voyage, I plan on giving this to her father. I have attached a link to this story about Himeka-chan’s handkerchief.(Japanese) You can purchase it at a store near Shioyazaki lighthouse in Iwaki, Fukushima. The profits are all donated to the Iwaki-City government. http://www.asahi.com/special/10005/TKY201111290254.html

I want to spend a meaningful life…I feel deep emotion thinking about tsunami victims who lost their lives while they really wanted to live.